K and I had a hankering for quiche the other day and decided to experiment with using non-dairy products. We swapped out cow’s milk and cheese for almond milk & daiya. We also tried our luck with vegan pie shells from Whole Foods.
We modified this recipe and ended up with this gorgeous masterpiece:
Now, granted, we still used eggs & pancetta, but the end result was a mostly vegan & totally dairy free, ahhhmazingly delicious quiche.
- 1 prepared vegan pie shell
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup daiya cheddar
- 1 and 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 small container of pancetta or chopped ham (optional)
- 1 cup of frozen spinach
- 1/2 chopped onion
- minced garlic
- sea salt
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- hot sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a large bowl, whip 5 eggs and combine with almond milk, daiya cheese and spices.
3. Cook pancetta along with chopped onion in a small pan. Drain and set aside.
4. Cook spinach with garlic.
5. Stir spinach, pancetta & onion into the egg / milk / cheese mixture.
6. Pour everything into the pie crust, sprinkle with another handful of cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Increase temperature to 375 and cook for another 15 minutes (check frequently to prevent over-cooking).
We found that we had to cook this longer and at a higher temp than in the original recipe. Frankly, I was surprised with how good this was. It was right up there with the quiche I had at Café Un Deux Trois last week. In particular, I was impressed with the vegan pie shell. A little Louisiana hot sauce really set it off, too.
Enjoy! Let me know if you try this out!